Monday, September 17, 2018
- Connect with project through body for project
- resistance in body alters reaction of circuit
- body is variable resister
- How do I in my instrument/device use my body?
- Sketches of project
- How does project display interaction of body vs electricity?
- Lots of homework, finish and review Dunne and Raby Herzian Tales
- Advanced students presenting on Wed. Take notes and learn for own presentation.
Wednesday, September 12, 2018
Project #1 Noise Art
!!Critque October 1!!
Project 1: Noise Art 10points
build an electronic device from a plan by a internationally known sound artist, modify (circuit bend) the device, and design/build/integrate these parts into a final interface.
- Concepts and Skills:
- -intermediate experience with electronics theory(conduction, continuity, resistance, etc.)
- -intermediate experience with prototyping on the breadborad, soldering
- -intermediate experience with electronic components, printed circuit boards, diagramming
- -intro to critical interface design, modification (modding), adaptation of existing tech, reductionist interface vs. poetic interface
- Build a kit device: Castro's Tactile Noise Machine. Students will breadboard their designs in order to discover a set of unique sounds and practice protyping and PCB construction techniques. Integrate the soldered version of the project into User Interface. Exploration of the User Interface as a critical, creative and/or artistic medium. Public Critique Evaluation.
Tactical Noise Circuit #1
- Get stuff
- Build on breadboard
- Alter the plan to see what happens (change conductor, add a wire, ect)
- Document alterations! Take pictures
- Bend the board
- Build base model, can solder right on top of other wire
- Burn up the products, experiment without fear
- Next, build base board with modifications
- Advanced students presenting project next week
- Be here! Will be doing the same project later on, about week 7
- Continue to work on new project
Lecture: The Art of Noise
- Read Dunne and Raby
- Know the environment of the author, research.
- Futurist: Around Dada movement. Opposed to organization, authority.
- Russolo: preached against tradition, conformity.
- Music: has been narrowly defined, harmonies, rhythms, lyricism
- Pythagorus: scientist, cleric- could calculate distances, do measurements
- Musica Universalis: music of the Spheres
- Greeks philosophers obsessed with the why in noise
- Golden Ration
- Aesthetic: visual pleasing. Why? Harmonies, The Golden Ratio
- Rules, boundaries, hierarchies
- Argument: There is more out there! The hierarchies in the world are only one way to look at it. Where is the dragging, screeching, the noise in art?
- Spectrum of aesthetics
- End of modern era
- Intonarumoris 1913 Luigi Russolo : Based on mechanic sirens
- Hannah Hoch collages, cut ups, abandons traditional techniques
- Reed Ghazala The Father of Circuit BendingesˈTHediks/
- Circuit benders abuse their materials
- Book on Circuit Bending
- Reed Ghazala Blog
noun: aesthetics; noun: esthetics
plural noun: aesthetics
late 18th century (in the sense ‘relating to perception by the senses’): from Greek aisthētikos, from aisthēta ‘perceptible things,’ from aisthesthai ‘perceive.’ The sense ‘concerned with beauty’ was coined in German in the mid 18th century and adopted into English in the early 19th century, but its use was controversial until late in the century.
Monday, September 10, 2018
- Finish up assignments and reading if not caught up.
- Poster printing later, view on screen for now
- PCB (Printed Circuit Board)
- Assembly of kit
- Thread through top and solder on bottom
- LED seat all the way down to the board, tight as possible against board for prevention of breakage
- Wires tight against board to prevent breakage
- Soldering iron with pointed tip- electro chemical material. Creates a bond between the metals. stable connection.
- Dirty up soldering iron first, clean and apply preheating one side. Tip should be shiny, corrosion will inhibit soldering iron from flowing.
- Volcano shape that covers entire spot
- Cold joints: not hot enough for chemical bonding
- Solder made of lead and other metals, flux (rosin) will smoke
- Ventilator will pull pollutants from the air
- Be hygienic while creating. Wash hand to prevent transfer of metals to body, hands to oral contact.
- Provide proper ventilation through window at home
- Helping hands
- Brass sponge